HOME  ABOUT THE BANK  MONETARY POLICY  BANKING SUPERVISION  PAYMENTS & SETTLEMENTS  STATISTICS  FEEDBACK CORNER
   BSP NOTES & COINS  MONETARY OPERATIONS  LOANS-CREDIT & ASSET MGT  PUBLICATIONS & RESEARCH  REGULATIONS  PROCUREMENT

Feedback Corner

Publications and Research

Media Releases

Consumer Loans Reached P380 Billion in December

05.18.2009

As of end-December 2008, the consumer loans (CLs) of universal/commercial banks (U/KBs) and thrift banks (TBs) reached P380.0 billion, up by 2.5 percent from last quarter’s P370.7 billion. Meanwhile, the ratio of total CLs to total loan portfolio (TLP), exclusive of interbank loans (IBL) dropped to 14.8 percent from last quarter’s 15.7 percent with the faster 9.0 percent growth in TLP, net of IBL.

By type of CLs, residential real estate loans (RRELs) represented the bulk of total CLs at 40.5 percent (or P153.9 billion). Credit card receivables (CCRs) came second with a share of 29.1 percent (or P110.6 billion). Auto loans (ALs) and Other Consumer Loans (Other CLs) followed with shares of 20.7 percent (or P78.5 billion) and 9.7 percent (or P37.0 billion), respectively.

By industry, U/KBs accounted for the bulk of the total CL exposure at 60.1 percent (P228.3 billion) while TBs held the remaining 39.9 percent (P151.7 billion).

In terms of loan quality, the ratio of non-performing CLs to total CLs slightly went up to 8.6 percent from the previous quarter’s 8.5 percent ratio. The increase in the ratio transpired as the hike in non-performing CLs outpaced the 2.5 percent expansion in total CLs.  Non-performing CLs stood at P32.6 billion, up by 2.9 percent from last quarter.

Meantime, the non-performing CLs to total non-performing loans (NPLs) ratio stood at 25.3 percent (up from 24.1 percent last quarter) whereas non-performing CLs to TLP ratio was the same as last quarter’s 1.3 percent ratio.

By industry, the ratio of non-performing CLs to total CLs of TBs at 8.1 percent was slightly better than the 8.9 percent posted by U/KBs. On the other hand, U/KBs had much better non-performing CLs to total NPL (at 19.3 percent) and non-performing CLs to TLP (at 0.9 percent) ratios than TBs’ 52.7 percent and 4.3 percent, respectively.

View Table 1 
Table 2

RSS Subscribe for updates

Archives