HOME  ABOUT THE BANK  MONETARY POLICY  BANKING SUPERVISION  PAYMENTS & SETTLEMENTS  STATISTICS  FEEDBACK CORNER
   BSP NOTES & COINS  MONETARY OPERATIONS  LOANS-CREDIT & ASSET MGT  PUBLICATIONS & RESEARCH  REGULATIONS  PROCUREMENT

Feedback Corner

Publications and Research

Media Releases

Other Consumer Loans Stands At P37 Billion in March

06.15.2009

As of end-March 2009, Other Consumer Loans (Other CLs) of universal/commercial banks (U/KBs) and thrift banks (TBs) amounted to P37.0 billion, slightly down by 0.1 percent from last quarter but up by 18.9 percent from year ago. Meantime, the ratio of Other CLs to total loan portfolio (TLP), exclusive of interbank loans stood at 1.5 percent, slightly higher than last quarter’s 1.4 percent but remained unchanged from year ago.

Other CLs refer to loans granted to individuals to finance other personal and household needs such as purchase of household appliances, furniture and fixtures and/or to pay taxes, hospital and educational bills.

By industry, TBs held the larger share of the Other CL exposure of the banking industry at 57.3 percent (P21.2 billion) while U/KBs held the remaining 42.7 percent (P15.8 billion).

In terms of loan quality, the ratio of non-performing Other CLs to total Other CLs of U/KBs and TBs rose to 18.1 percent from last quarter’s 16.9 percent and year ago’s 14.8 percent ratio. The increase in the ratio from last quarter transpired as the hike in non-performing Other CLs came with the decline in Other CLs. The level of non-performing Other CLs stood at P6.7 billion, up by 7.1 percent from last quarter.

Meantime, the non-performing Other CLs to total non-performing loans (NPLs) ratio stood at 5.0 percent (up from 4.9 percent last quarter and 3.6 percent a year ago), whereas non-performing Other CLs to TLP ratio settled at 0.3 percent (up from last quarter and year ago’s 0.2 percent ratio). 

The quality of Other CLs of U/KBs stood better than that of TBs as indicated by the following ratios of U/KBs: non-performing Other CLs to total Other CLs (16.1 percent), non-performing Other CLs to total NPLs (2.4 percent) and non-performing Other CLs to TLP (0.1 percent) compared to TBs’ relatively higher ratios of 19.6 percent, 16.3 percent and 1.4 percent, respectively.

View Table

RSS Subscribe for updates

Archives