The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) warns the public of identity theft involving financial transactions. Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information without your permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.
Your personal information may be stolen from you through various means; such as, from the Internet, pickpockets, mail or by way of dumpster diving. Dumpster diving refers to a person's activity of rummaging through trash looking for documents with your personal information on it. To protect yourself from identity theft, please be guided by the following:
- Do not give personal financial information such as account number, password, etc., over the phone or through the internet, especially in response to unsolicited requests.
- Contact the particular financial institution mentioned in the letter or e-mail message requesting for your personal information if unsure whether such communication is legitimate.
- Transact only with secured websites. Look for "https" in the address bar.
- Shred or destroy papers, receipts and other documents bearing your personal information when throwing them away.
- Keep in a safe place all private records and statements and do not share these with anyone.
- If you fall victim to identity theft, call and write your financial institution immediately. Close your accounts which you think have been compromised or known to unauthorized persons.
For further clarification, please contact:
FINANCIAL CONSUMER AFFAIRS GROUP
Supervision and Examination Sector
BANGKO SENTRAL NG PILIPINAS
5th Floor, Multi-Storey Building, BSP Complex
A. Mabini St., Malate, Manila (Area Code)
E-mail address: email@example.com
Tel. Nos.: Direct Line: (+632)523-3631o Trunkline (+632)524-7011 local 2584