HOME  ABOUT THE BANK  MONETARY POLICY  BANKING SUPERVISION  PAYMENTS & SETTLEMENTS  STATISTICS  FEEDBACK CORNER
   BSP NOTES & COINS  MONETARY OPERATIONS  LOANS-CREDIT & ASSET MGT  PUBLICATIONS & RESEARCH  REGULATIONS  PROCUREMENT

Feedback Corner

Publications and Research

Media Releases

Residential Real Estate Loans Up By 3.5 Percent From Last Quarter

06.04.2010

As of end-March 2010, the total residential real estate loans (RRELs) of universal/commercial banks (U/KBs) and thrift banks (TBs) amounted to P168.2 billion, up by 3.5 percent from last quarter’s P162.6 billion and by 4.9 percent from year ago’s P160.4 billion. Meantime, the ratio of total RRELs to total loan portfolio (TLP), exclusive of interbank loans stood at 6.6 percent, up from last quarter’s 6.0 percent and year ago’s 6.3 percent ratio.

By industry, TBs held a bigger portion of the total residential real estate exposure of the banking system at 53.9 percent (P90.6 billion). U/KBs accounted for the remaining 46.1 percent (P77.6 billion).

In terms of loan quality, the ratio of non-performing RRELs to total RRELs slightly rose to 6.8 percent from last quarter’s 6.7 percent but eased from year ago’s 7.5 percent ratio. The quarter-on-quarter increase in the ratio occurred as the rise in non-performing RRELs outweighed the growth in RRELs. Non-performing RRELs amounted to P11.4 billion, up by 4.6 percent from last quarter’s P10.9 billion.

Meantime, the non-performing RRELs to total non-performing loans (NPLs) ratio stood at 8.6 percent (slightly up from last quarter’s 8.5 percent but an improvement from year ago’s 9.0 percent) while non-performing RRELs to TLP ratio settled at 0.4 percent (same as last quarter but slightly down from year ago’s 0.5 percent ratio). 

By industry, the non-performing RRELs to total RRELs ratio of U/KBs was better than TBs’ ratio. The non-performing RRELs of U/KBs stood at 4.8 percent (easing from 5.1 percent last quarter and 6.9 percent a year ago). TBs’ ratio settled at 8.4 percent (up from last quarter’s and year ago’s 8.0 percent).

View Table

RSS Subscribe for updates

Archives