HOME  ABOUT THE BANK  MONETARY POLICY  BANKING SUPERVISION  PAYMENTS & SETTLEMENTS  STATISTICS  FEEDBACK CORNER
   BSP NOTES & COINS  MONETARY OPERATIONS  LOANS-CREDIT & ASSET MGT  PUBLICATIONS & RESEARCH  REGULATIONS  PROCUREMENT

Feedback Corner

Publications and Research

Media Releases

Residential Real Estate Loans Up by 3.0 Percent From Last Quarter

01.03.2011

As of end-September 2010, the total residential real estate loans (RRELs) of universal/commercial banks (U/KBs) and thrift banks (TBs) stood at P178.8 billion, higher by 3.0 percent from last quarter’s P173.7 billion and by 10.1 percent from year ago’s P162.5 billion. Meantime, the ratio of total RRELs to total loan portfolio (TLP), exclusive of interbank loans settled at 6.5 percent, up from last quarter’s 6.4 percent but barely changed from year ago’s ratio.

By industry, TBs held a bigger portion of the total residential real estate exposure of the banking system at 51.3 percent (P91.8 billion). U/KBs accounted for the remaining 48.7 percent (P87.0 billion).

In terms of loan quality, the ratio of non-performing RRELs to total RRELs rose to 7.5 percent from last quarter’s 6.6 percent and year ago’s 7.3 percent ratio. The quarter-on-quarter increase in the ratio occurred as the hike in non-performing RRELs was faster than the rise in total RRELs.  Non-performing RRELs went up by 16.9 percent to P13.4 billion from P11.5 billion last quarter.

Meantime, the non-performing RRELs to total non-performing loans (NPLs) ratio stood at 9.9 percent (up from last quarter’s 8.4 percent and year ago’s 9.0 percent) while non-performing RRELs to TLP ratio settled at 0.5 percent (slightly up from last quarter’s 0.4 percent but same as year ago’s ratio). 

By industry, the non-performing RRELs to total RRELs ratio of U/KBs was better than TBs’ ratio. The non-performing RRELs of U/KBs settled at 4.4 percent (easing from last quarter’s 4.8 percent and year ago’s 5.0 percent). TBs’ ratio stood at 10.4 percent (up from last quarter’s 8.3 percent and year ago’s 9.1 percent).

View Table

RSS Subscribe for updates

Archives