HOME  ABOUT THE BANK  MONETARY POLICY  BANKING SUPERVISION  PAYMENTS & SETTLEMENTS  STATISTICS  FEEDBACK CORNER
   BSP NOTES & COINS  MONETARY OPERATIONS  LOANS-CREDIT & ASSET MGT  PUBLICATIONS & RESEARCH  REGULATIONS  PROCUREMENT

Feedback Corner

Publications and Research

Media Releases

Fourth Quarter Consumer Loans Increase to P546 Billion

05.21.2012

As of end-December 2011, total Consumer Loans (CLs) closed at P545.9 billion, P28.3 billion (5.5 percent) higher than last quarter and P73.3 billion (15.5 percent) more than last year.  The quarterly growth followed the P25.8 billion increase in universal/commercial banks (U/KBs) to P351.0 billion, which accounted for 91.1 percent of the expansion in total CLs.  This combined with the P2.5 billion hike in thrift banks (TBs) to P194.9 billion, which provided the remaining 8.9 percent.  Meantime, as a proportion of the total loan portfolio (TLP), its ratio dipped to 15.7 percent from last quarter and last year’s ratio of 16.0 percent.

However, between the U/KBs and the TBs, the former continued to grab a bigger portion of total CLs with 64.3 percent (P351.0 billion) compared with previous quarter’s 62.8 percent (P325.2 billion) and last year’s 60.2 percent (P284.5 billion).

In terms of loan quality, the non-performing CLs to total CLs improved to 6.9 percent from last quarter’s 7.8 percent; non-performing CLs to total non-performing loans eased to 29.2 percent from 30.5 percent; and non-performing CLs to TLP edged better to 1.1 percent from 1.2 percent.  This was largely due to quarter-on-quarter decline in non-performing CLs by 6.6 percent to P37.5 billion.

By type of bank, U/KBs did better in terms of the non-performing CLs to total NPLs ratio with 24.7 percent and non-performing CLs to TLP ratio with 0.8 percent.  TBs though posted better non-performing CLs to total CLs ratio of 6.2 percent as against U/KBs’ 7.2 percent.

View Table1  |  Table 2

RSS Subscribe for updates

Archives