The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP), in partnership with the University of the Philippines System, will host the 2015 BSP-UP Professorial Chair Lectures, on 19-20 October 2015 at the Assembly Hall, BSP Main Complex, Malate, Manila.
The Professorial Chair Lectures provide the opportunity for chairholders to present their research, and for the participants to discuss important issues in economics, statistics, business administration, finance, accounting, agriculture and other related fields as part of the collaboration between the BSP and the academe.
For this occasion, BSP Governor Amando M. Tetangco, Jr. will welcome the guests and participants while UP System President Alfredo E. Pascual will deliver the opening remarks.
Eight lectures will be delivered for this two-day event:
Day 1 - 19 October 2015 (MONDAY)
1. Corporate Income Taxes and Utility Rates in the Philippines
By Dr. Helena Agnes S. Valderrama, BSP UP Centennial Professor of Accounting
Discussant: Dr. Felipe M. Medalla
Monetary Board Member, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas
2. Going Regional: Demographic Sweet Spot and Dividend in the Philippines: The Window of Opportunity is Closing Fast
By Dr. Dennis S. Mapa, BSP Sterling Professor of Government and Official Statistics
Discussant: Dr. Alejandro N. Herrin
Professorial Lecturer, UP School of Economics
3. The Leader as Friend: Implications of Leonardo Polo’s Friendship in Aristotle for Humanistic Corporate Governance
By Dr. Aliza D. Racelis, BSP UP Centennial Professor of Business Administration
Discussant: Dr. Oscar G. Bulaong, Jr.
Professor, Ateneo Graduate School of Business
4. Constructing Leading Economic Indicators for the Philippine Economy using Dynamic Factor Models
By Prof. Manuel Leonard F. Albis, Jr., BSP UP Centennial Professor of Statistics
Discussant: Ms. Ma. Christina S. Simbulan
Bank Officer III, Inclusive Finance Advocacy Staff, BSP
Day 2 - 20 October 2015 (TUESDAY)
5. Measuring Trade in Value-Added: Implications on Trade and Industrial Policies
By Dr. Ma. Joy V. Abrenica, BSP-UP Centennial Professorial Chair in Foreign Trade
Discussant: Dr. Myrna S. Austria
Full Professor, School of Economics, De La Salle University
6. Dissecting the Statistical Aspects in Credit Risk Assessment: Validation of Rating Systems and Probability of Default Estimation Procedures
By Dr. Jeffry J. Tejada, BSP Sterling Professor of Government and Official Statistics
Discussant: Dr. Corinne Grace B. Burgos
Adjunct Faculty, Asian Institute of Management
7. Philippine Fungal Diversity: Benefits and Threats to Food Security
By Dr. Christian Joseph R. Cumagun, BSP UP Centennial Professor of Agriculture
Discussant: Dr. Edwin R. Tadiosa
Mycologist, National Museum of the Philippines
8. Financial Inclusion Through Expanding Housing Finance Services: Insights and Options from the Behavioral Economics Literature
By Dr. Toby Melissa C. Monsod, BSP UP Centennial Professor of Money and Banking
Discussant: Ms. Pia Bernadette R. Tayag
Director, Inclusive Finance Advocacy Staff, BSP
Professor Ernesto M. Pernia will be the luncheon speaker of the event. Dr. Pernia is currently Professor Emeritus of Economics at the UP School of Economics. He was a lead economist of the Asian Development Bank from 1999 to 2003. His fields of specialization and interest are development economics, demographic economics, and human resource economics.
The lectures will be attended by invited participants from the academe, government agencies, and private institutions as well as BSP officials and staff.