BEWARE OF IMPERSONATORS OF DEPUTY GOVERNOR NESTOR A. ESPENILLA, JR. AND OTHER BANGKO SENTRAL NG PILIPINAS OFFICIALS
The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) received reports that a scam is being perpetrated by scammers or swindlers targeting depositors of closed banks. The modus operandi of scammers or swindlers include posing or representing themselves as Mr. Nestor A. Espenilla, Jr., Deputy Governor of the Supervision and Examination Sector of the BSP. The swindlers represent themselves as having the capacity to facilitate the immediate release of deposits from closed banks.
The BSP warns the public, especially depositors of closed banks, against such scam. Claims for payment of deposits in closed banks should only be coordinated with the Philippine Deposit Insurance Corporation (PDIC) which is the government agency responsible for the processing of claims and release of deposit insurance to depositors of closed banks. All depositor concerns relating to the release of deposits in closed banks or deposit insurance should be coordinated with the PDIC.
The public is further advised that:
- Scammers or fraudsters may pose or represent themselves as Deputy Governor Nestor A. Espenilla, Jr. or any other officer of the BSP through any means such as written communication consisting of letters, email or text messages or through telephone calls that are made to appear as officially originating from BSP;
- For fake documents, scammers or swindlers may copy or imitate the BSP seal and simulate the format of official documents;
- Fake documents may include forged or digitally copied signatures of Deputy Governor Nestor A. Espenilla, Jr. or other BSP officials;
- The BSP does not deal with depositors of closed banks. None of its officials are authorized to facilitate the immediate release of deposits or deposit insurance. Any document or communication of such tenor using the name of the BSP, Deputy Governor Nestor A. Espenilla, Jr. or other BSP officials should be dealt with caution.
- If you are unsure of the authenticity of documents or communications relating to processing of deposits in closed banks or deposit insurance claims, which are alleged to be from Deputy Governor Nestor A. Espenilla, Jr. or other BSP officials, you may call the BSP or PDIC for assistance.
- The public is enjoined to inform the BSP or PDIC if they receive such fictitious documents or information on any fraudulent representations done for the purpose of illegally soliciting funds from depositors of closed banks.
For report of similar incident or for further clarifications, you may contact:
Financial Consumer Protection Department
Supervision and Examination Sector
BANGKO SENTRAL NG PILIPINAS
5th Floor, Multi-Storey Building, BSP Complex, Malate, Manila
Tel. No.: (+632) 708-7087
Trunkline: (02) 708-7701 local 2584
Public Assistance Department
PHILIPPINE DEPOSIT INSURANCE CORPORATION
SSS Building, 6782 Ayala Avenue corner V.A. Rufino St., Makati City
Trunkline : (02) 841-4630/(02) 841-4631
Toll free : 1-800-1-888-7342 or 1-800-1-888-PDIC
Fax Numbers : (02) 841-4079