Beware of Impersonators of Deputy Governor Nestor A. Espenilla, Jr. and Other Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Officials
The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) received reports that a scam is being perpetrated by scammers or swindlers targeting BSFIs, particularly rural banks. The modus operandi of scammers or swindlers include posing or representing themselves as Mr. Nestor A. Espenilla, Jr., Deputy Governor of the Supervision and Examination Sector of the BSP. The swindlers, usually through telephone calls, pose as the Deputy Governor who would want to talk to the bank president or would request for the latter’s contact details. They use the name of Deputy Governor Espenilla, Jr. for the purpose of soliciting donations for specific events or contributions of similar nature.
The BSP warns banks and other BSFIs that it is not the practice of BSP to solicit donations, monetary or otherwise, from BSFIs. This advisory is issued to prevent the BSFIs as well as other potential target victims from falling prey to scams perpetrated through communications, certifications and other kinds of false representations that are made to appear as officially issued by BSP, Deputy Governor Espenilla Jr., or any BSP official.
The BSFIs and the public are further advised that:
- Scammers or fraudsters may pose or represent themselves as Deputy Governor Nestor A. Espenilla, Jr. or any other officer of the BSP through any means such as written communication consisting of letters, email or text messages or through telephone calls that are made to appear as officially originating from BSP;
- For fake documents, scammers or swindlers may copy or imitate the BSP seal and simulate the format of official documents;
- Fake documents may include forged or digitally copied signatures of Deputy Governor Nestor A. Espenilla, Jr. or other BSP officials;
- The BSP does not solicit donations of money or prizes from BSFIs or the general public. None of its officials are authorized to do so and any document or communication of such tenor using the name of the BSP, Deputy Governor Espenilla, Jr. or other BSP officials should be dealt with caution;
- If you are unsure of the authenticity of documents or communications alleged to be from the BSP, you may call the BSP for assistance; and
- The BSFIs and the public are enjoined to inform the BSP if they receive such telephone calls or fictitious documents or information on any fraudulent representations done for the purpose of illegally soliciting funds using the name of the BSP or any of its officials.
For report of similar incident or for further clarifications, you may contact:
Financial Consumer Protection Department
Supervision and Examination Sector
BANGKO SENTRAL NG PILIPINAS
5th Floor, Multi-Storey Building, BSP Complex, Malate, Manila
Tel. No.: (+632) 708-7087
Trunkline: (02) 708-7701 local 2584