From left to right: Deputy Gov. Francisco G. Dakila, Jr. (Monetary and Economics Sector, BSP); Assistant Gov. Iluminada T. Sicat, (Monetary Policy Sub-Sector, BSP); Ms. Shirley K. Escalante (GMA Network, Inc., judge representing the media); Asst. Sec. Rosalinda P. Bautista (Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), judge representing the host agency); Ms. Shella S. Agonoy (Trainer, Rizal High School – Division of Pasig); Mr. Paul Resty V. Arcega (2nd prize winner, Rizal High School – Division of Pasig); Ms. Izah Rizza T. Francisco (Trainer, Augustinian Abbey School – Division of Las Piñas); Mr. Shawn Kelly B. Lizardo (1st prize winner, Augustinian Abbey School – Division of Las Piñas); Ms. Sofia Marie G. Marquito (3rd prize winner, Navotas National High School – Division of Navotas); Ms. Richelle Ann L. Reyes (Trainer, Navotas National High School – Division of Navotas); MBM Felipe M. Medalla (Chairman of the Board of Judges); Prof. Seymour B. Sanchez (De La Salle – College of Saint Benilde and Far Eastern University, judge representing the academe); Dir. John Arnold S. Siena (Department of Education, judge representing the partner agency); Dir. Redentor Paolo M. Alegre, Jr. (Department of Economic Statistics, BSP)
The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP), in collaboration with the Department of Education (DepEd), held the 24th BSP-DepEd Oratorical Contest, the culminating activity of the 30th National Statistics Month, last 29 October 2019 at the BSP Assembly Hall. Sixteen 10th Grade students from the National Capital Region (NCR) divisions showcased their oratorical skills and insights on the importance of the innovative use of statistics in advancing the country’s development agenda, in line with the theme, “Data Innovation: Key to a Better Nation.”
Of the sixteen finalists, Mr. Shawn Kelly B. Lizardo from the Augustinian Abbey School in Las Piñas won this year’s first prize. He was awarded a cash prize of ₱25,000 and a trophy by BSP Monetary Board Member Felipe M. Medalla and DepEd Director John Arnold S. Siena. The oratorical coach of Mr. Lizardo was Ms. Izah Rizza T. San
Mr. Paul Resty V. Arcega from Rizal High School in Pasig came in second, while Ms. Sofia Marie G. Marquito from Navotas National High School came in third in the competition.
The thirteen finalists in this year’s oratorical contest were:
(1) Mr. Judgeon Haendel P. Boniel from Caloocan National Science and Technology High School, Caloocan;
(2) Ms. Merry Joy G. Tablanda from Benigno “Ninoy” S. Aquino High School, Makati;
(3) Ms. Dinelin Love T. Demdam from Malabon National High School, Malabon;
(4) Ms. lannah Chelsea L. Belonia from Mataas na Paaralang Neptali A. Gonzales, Mandaluyong;
(5) Ms. Chenelle Ashley G. Palileo from Lakan Dula High School, Manila;
(6) Mr. Julian Miguel G. Tecson from Marikina Heights High School, Marikina;
(7) Ms. Rona Joy P. Tomondong from Muntinlupa National High School, Muntinlupa;
(8) Ms. Sharlla Mae S. Cerilles from Parañaque National High School, Parañaque;
(9) Ms. Ezra Andrei A. Ezpañola from Pasay City West High School, Pasay;
(10) Ms. Althea Pableo from San Bartolome High School, Quezon City;
(11) Mr. Shirbert T. Villanueva from San Juan National High School, San Juan;
(12) Mr. Jumar D. Pata from Taguig Science High School, Taguig Pateros; and
(13) Ms. Ma. Loraine D. Labrador from Malanday National High School, Valenzuela.
The orators passed through different stages of elimination conducted by the DepEd in the 16 NCR divisions. Winners of the division level eliminations represented their respective divisions in the oratorical finals.
For more than two decades, the oratorical contest has been a platform for instilling greater awareness and appreciation of the crucial role of statistics in our country’s development, especially among the youth.